Friday, September 09, 2005

Six Million Dollar Man - The Harder They Fall, The Sooner They Try Again

When my father was still in his teens, shortly before his mother passed away, she took him to a fortune teller. The fortune was that my father would become a great success in a foreign land. These kinds of prophecies usually become self-fulfilling with the right person, someone like my father. But he's had his ups and downs, too. I, too, had my fortune told by several different tellers, all of whom said that I'd become rich and famous. Now consider that East Indian tellers don't all just say that. If they "see" bad things, they say so. They're pretty upfront about what they see.

I can't tell you the number of times I've come close to being a millionaire, but then found myself subconsciously sabotaging my success. Each time, I come closer to that mystical million, but each time I fall even harder. My father, though, made it. At least for a brief period of time. The wealth was all on paper, but through very hard work, he managed to acquire 6 million dollars in real estate, both commercial and residential. Let me clarify. That's actually 6 million in mortgages. But sometimes it's the perceived wealth that matters.

The hardest thing he found, however, was that many people were jealous of his success, not caring how about much toil he put into his "success". Ultimately, their jealousy turned to sabotage, despite my father's generosity about late rents and such, and he finally found himself with a negative cash flow.

While his millionaire status was hard-earned, it didn't last. Eventually, he lost it all. It cost him dearly, in finances and in pride. However, now, at the age of 74, he's picked himself up, brushed himself off, and set about towards that magical million level once again. I admire him for his tenacity. The moral of the story is that no matter how hard life gets, don't give up. Your goals will be realized if you keep your vision and your faith. Anyone who says otherwise either hasn't kept trying or doesn't want you to succeed. Part of success should be the journey as well as the end result.

(c) Copyright 2005-present, Raj Kumar Dash, http://smackeroonies.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home